The FSSoc research scholarship, up to a maximum of £3,000 per annum, is offered to appropriately qualified candidates for a maximum period of 3 years for their research in various fields.
The Scholarship is open to members* of the FSSoc, who wish to undertake research based on scientific methods in one of the following areas: forensic science, criminal justice, forensic science policy and pradtice, forensic medicine or crime investigation based on scientific methods. Candidates should have a first or upper second class honours degree or have sufficient and relevant professional experience deemed acceptable to the Society.
The research must be carried out at an institute or organisation accepted by the Council of the Forensic Science Society and under the direction of a person approved by the Society.
The Scholarship will be awarded to a successful candidate(s) on an annual basis which may be extended to a maximum period of three years. Recipients of the Scholarship are required to prepare a final report of their work at the end of their reseach period to which the Scholarship applies. Award recipients are encouraged to publish their results in Interfaces, Science and Justice or as a poster/presentation at a Society conference. The financial support of the Society must be acknowledged in all publications and thesis arising from the funded research.
Those wishing to apply for this Scholarship must submit the following documents:
- A completed research scholarship application form
- A brief Curriculum Vitae of the principal applicant and research/professional experience track record (if appropriate)
- A case for support of not more than 2 A4 pages (no less than 11 font)
- A Gantt chart illustrating milestones and deliverables of the proposed research (up to 1 A4 page)
- A detailed costing and justification of the funds requested (up to 1 A4 page)
- Contact details of two referees which the Society may contact.
Download an Application Pack if you wish to apply.
The closing date for the award is 31st of January every year. The Society may issue a second call for proposals in any given year as it deems fit.
Are the kind sponsors for the award for best research paper submitted.
* Excludes e-students and Student members.
Scholarship Application Pack